1. The Courthouses of Hays Area- When Hays Region originated in 1848, its one public structure was a log church-schoolhouse that had to act as the courthouse, along with its other uses. Although the San Marcos townsite, platted in 1851, had a court square contributed to the region, the forfeit of a $2,000.00 criminal bond later on offered the county funds for structure, as well as in 1861 authorities used service provider C. F. Millett to erect on the Square a 36 x 40-foot, 2-story framework court house with a hearing area, jury areas, as well as 4 workplaces. That ache developing melted in 1868, and area officials operated from leased quarters until a court house of soft, locally quarried limestone was completed in 1871. Harmed by planet shiftings, that 2-story, 45 x 53-foot building was torn down (1881) and changed by a 50 x 60-foot, 2-story structure of harder limestone designed by F. E. Ruffini, designer for University of Texas buildings and for court houses in several various other counties. Afterwards 1882-83 framework lost its top tale in a fire on Feb. 28, 1908, it likewise was torn down.
2. HAYS REGION JAILS- The degrading jail sits behind the 1873 prison and also is bordered by a fence and disordered trees. Court house posters are being cost the court house to assist elevate money for its reconstruction.
3. Aquarena Springs – Aquarena Springs is mainly the resource of the San Marcos River, increasing from thousands of cracks under Spring Lake. A Spanish objective was developed on the site, as well as later on became the homestead of General Burleson as well as Eli Merriman. For years, Aquarena Springs was a hotel as well as amusement park with watercraft trips and features such as mermaids. The ‘Aquamaids’ would wear oxygen containers to consume pickles as well as drink Dr. Pepper undersea. Attracted by the picturesque appeal of the location, A.B. Rogers started the park in 1926 and also established it right into a prominent visitor attraction. The park had a huge hotel, a Swiss sky ride, glass- bottom boat rides, and a submarine cinema with mermaid performers. By far one of the most popular tourist attraction was Ralph, the Swimming Pig. Ralph swam around Aquarena Springs executing methods and dives until the early 1990s when he retired.
4. The Former Municipal Government and also Fire Station: (c. 1915) One half block north of the square. Spanish Revival structure typical of the period when station house shared room with various other social work. Shiner and Hallettsville have comparable buildings.
5. Southwest Texas State University: Founded in 1899 – opened up in 1903 – as Southwest Texas Normal Institution. On the hill North and East of the square on the 11 acres originally deeded for it.
6. Wittliff Gallery of Southwestern & Mexican Digital Photography as well as Southwestern Writers Collection – Albert B. Alkek Collection, Southwest Texas State University, 512-245-2313.
7. Wonder Globe – Earthquake-formed cave. 512-392-3760. Admissions.